Thursday, July 29, 2010

Will goes to preschool in the fall, so I started thinking that it would be a good thing if he knew how to write a few letters so I wouldn't seem like too neglectful a parent. He has never liked to draw or color and can't (or won't) hold a pencil correctly. But I have been trying to work with him on that. He simply does not want to have anything to do with learning how to write. I started trying positive persuasion, like "You can do it, it will be fun!" Then it turned to bribing, "I'll give you some chocolate if you will write some letters." Then it turned into punishment, "you can't watch tv unless you write your letters." Now I've gotten just plain mean, "Maggie gets to watch tv, but you have to go up to your room and play quietly." That one works part of the time. The thing is, I need their tv time. I set them in front of the tv for a couple hours so I can lay down and read a book or try to nap. So, this is even more of a punishment for me than it is for Will. The day goes so slowly without my nap time. I hope the teachers can do a better job than I can.

3 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Most boys do develop their small motor skills slower than girls...so maybe he really can't do it yet. My youngest, at 11, still can't hold her pencil correctly--so maybe I shouldn't have really commented on this post at all!!

JoEllen said...

Ugh, we struggle with letters! I try to focus on one letter a week. We do things that have to do with that letter. This week is N. We talked about Noah and the Ark for FHE. We picked "nuts" (acorns) off the tree outside, etc. Sometimes I think it helps and sometimes I think I'm wasting my breath. We practice writing and we draw things that start with the letter. It's frustrating to me and I pray Little Sal will have a great (and very patient) teacher!

Mandy said...

Isn't that why kids go to school? It won't last forever, that's what I tell myself, but I don't really believe it.